In the churchyard of St Patrick’s ( Church of Ireland) Cathedral stands the base and fragment of shaft of a High Cross. A large base of truncated pyramidal form with shallow step at top. The sides appear plain. In the socket is a short fragment of a decorated shaft. The stone is badly worn. Inside the Cathedral the greater part of the shaft of an elaborately sculptured sandstone cross has been erected on a modern base. Close by on the floor is the fragment of the cross-head belonging to it. This is badly damaged and the entire ring, the top of the shaft, the cap and one arm are missing. This shaft and the head are part of the cross known as the Market Cross which is situated in Market Square in Armagh City.

Abstracted from Seanchas Ardmhacha, Vol. 1, No. 2 (1955) p. 108-110

The Archdiocese of Armagh provides external links as convenience to our users. The appearance of external links does not constitute endorsement by the Archdiocese of Armagh of the information contained therein.