CATHEDRAL FLOOR PLAN
1. Stained glass window – St Patrick receives his mission from Pope Celestine. The death of St Patrick.
2. Stained glass window – The flight and martyrdom of St Dympna and her companions.
3. Stained glass window – The dream of St Patrick. St Benignus places flowers on the sleeping saint.
4. Stained glass window – The espousal of the Blessed Virgin.
5. Stained glass window – St Patrick and the two Princesses at the Fountain of Clebach.
6. Stained glass window – St Malachy is received by St Bernard & Cistercian monks.
7. The great five-light window in the Gospel-side Transept.
8. Wooden Funeral Door at the Gospel Transept.
9. Stained glass window – St Mel giving the religious veil to St Brigid & other holy women.
10. Stained glass window – St Theresa, St Brigid with the crozier and St Dympna.
11. Stained glass window – St Benignus, St Joseph and St Malachy.
12. Stained glass window – Madonna and Child, St James the Less & St Elizabeth.
13. Mosaic – The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
14. Mosaic – The espousal of St Joseph and the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple.
15. Mosaic – Dream of St Joseph & two Mosaics of the Flight into Egypt.
16. Stained glass window – St Malachy, St Michael, St Elizabeth.
17. The Great Window in the Lady Chapel.
18. The Lady Altar Reredos.
19. Lady Chapel window – Sacred Heart with St Clare & St Veronica.
20. Sanctuary Lamp.
21. Mosaic – St Brigid herding the cattle of the Druid.
22. Mosaics – The Consecration of St Brigid and St Brigid before the King of Leinster.
23. Mosaic – St Brigid founding her monastery and healing the Lepers.
24. Stained glass window – The Immaculate Conception.
25. Stained glass window – St John, St Peter, and St James the Greater.
26. Stained glass window – The Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
27. Stained glass window – The Blessed Virgin.
28. Sacred Heart Altar window shows apparition of Sacred Heart to St Margaret Mary.
29. Window of Sacred Heart Altar with words of Jesus, “Come to me all you who labour and are heavily burdened and I will refresh you” (Matthew 11:28).
30. Our Lady with Divine Infant gives Rosary & Scapular to St Dominic & St Catherine.
31. Stained glass window – St Patrick preaches at Tara.
32. Stained glass window – St Malachy receives the Last Sacraments before the altar.
33. Stained glass window – Apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Lourdes.
34. Stained glass window – The Martyrdom of St Catherine of Alexandria.
35. The main Cathedral Entrance and Organ Gallery.
36. The Tabernacle.
38. The ‘Cathedra’ is the Bishop’s chair in the cathedral church.
39. The Baptismal Font.
40. The Cathedral pews in the main nave.
41. The Altar.
42. The Stations of the Cross.
43. The Cardinals’ Hats. Cardinal Patrick O’Donnell, 1924-1927.
44. The Cardinals’ Hats. Cardinal William Conway, 1963-1977.
45. The Cardinals’ Hats. Cardinal Michael Louge, 1887-1924.
46. The Confessional.
47. The Cardinals’ Hats. Cardinal John D’Alton, 1946-1963.
48. The Cardinals’ Hats. Cardinal Joseph MacRory, 1928-1945.
1848 Work partially ceased
1854 Work resumed. New design
Height of crosses 10′
Breadth across transepts 120′
Length of nave 114′
External roof height 100′
Internal roof height 81′
Sanctuary 58′ square
Main structure Armagh Limestone
Groining of aisles Bath stone
Altar Irish granite
Sacred Heart Altar & organ
loft support Italian marble
Decoration of floor & walls Mosaic
Woodwork Austrian oak
Nave ceiling Oil painting
Architectural style Decorated Gothic